Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Frog In a Pot...

The boiling frog story is a widespread anecdote describing a frog slowly being boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability of people to react to significant changes that occur gradually


          Today, I have been thinking entirely to much, about the frog in the pot theory. I feel like I am a frog, sitting in a pot, and even as the water warms, I sit.

             I wonder when I realized, the water was getting warmer? I wonder, If I will really sit in this pot, Until I am boiled to death. I wonder, If its possible to jump at anytime, or is there a point in time, when its to hard to move,  if I wait to just before that point, Will I be harmed?I wonder the most, about why the temperature  had to change.
            Truly, that's what this metaphor most represents. The fact, that change, over a long period of time, is hardly recognizable, and can, If not noticed and adjusted to, be dangerous. (Please don't get me wrong dear reader, I have no problem, or fear of change. But the changes in my life, have me wondering, why some things do change, More importantly, why peoples emotions, and feelings change)
             These changes, I didn't notice until now. Here is where I wonder about the damage, and if its to late for me to jump?. If I am smart enough to jump, will it hurt? Will to much damage have been done, for me to ever be the same,  did the change affect me so much, that I will never be the person I was before. Is It possible to continue on, Or is staying in the pot, actually the better option?  Pretending, I don't notice the slowley rising temperature.


                            

No comments:

Post a Comment